Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Lord
The Transfiguration Cathedral was laid on August 22, 1815, and the founder was His Grace Demetrius, Bishop of Bender and Akkerman. In 1827, Dimitri consecrated the cathedral, but the construction of the temple was delayed. In 1832, the bell tower was completed, and the works were completed only in 1840.
The temple remained unpainted until the beginning of the 20th century. Despite the repair work carried out from time to time, the interior painting of the cathedral had an incomplete appearance. In the early 1930s, church ministers decided to renovate the interior, for which they invited the famous Moldovan artist and sculptor Alexander Mikhailovich Plamadeala. Approximately, in May 1934, he arrived in Bender to begin fulfilling the order with his disciples: V. Polyakov, V. Nechaev, N. Kolyadich and A. Madval.
Most of the frescoes of A. Plamadeala: “Constantine”, “Helen”, “God of the Sun”, images of 12 Apostles – survived to this day.
The Great Patriotic War caused significant damage to the cathedral. A shell hit the building, which caused the destruction of iconostasis and the archive of the cathedral in a fire. As a result, important information about the life of the parish and the city in pre-war times has disappeared forever.
In 1948, the cathedral was taken under state protection as an architectural monument of the early 19th century.
In recent years, extensive restoration and repair work has been carried out both inside and outside the temple. On September 13, 2015 in Bender, the celebrations of the 200th anniversary of the Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Lord took place.
31, Sovetskaya str., Bendery
+373 552 20301