Description

Church of St. Cayetan

The Polish Roman Catholic church of St. Cajetan, the oldest Catholic temple in Pridnestrovie, has practically survived to this day in its original form. The decision to build the church was made in 1749 by Prince Joseph Lubomirsky, as evidenced by the manuscript The Act of Founding a Church in Rahskov. The edifice had been erected by 1786, and five years later it was consecrated in honor of St. Cajetan. The construction is a classic sample of Polish Catholic church architecture of the 18th century with baroque elements. In Soviet times, the church was closed and the building was used by local authorities, first as a granary, and then as a carpentry workshop. Only in 1990 it was returned to the Catholic community, and since then services have been held here to the sounds of the organ.

Gallery