Church of St. Michael the Archangel

Ribnitsa Stroentsy Villages What to see in Ribnitsa

Description

Church of St. Michael the Archangel

The first wooden church of St. Michael the Archangel appeared in Stroentsy in 1702. In the 1820s, it was destroyed, and in its place, they built Prince Trubetskoy’s palace, which was demolished in 1918.

The construction of the current church began in 1829 financed by Prince P.Kh. Wittgenstein. A specific feature of the temple is combining architectural traditions of Orthodoxy, on the one hand, and Lutheranism, on the other. A stone bell tower with a needle-shape top distinctly resembles a German Protestant church.

In 1861, a school was opened with the church. In the 20th century, on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Victory over Nazi Germany in the Great Patriotic War, a museum of military history was inaugurated in the building and named after P.A. Rumyantsev-Zadunaisky.

In the 1990s, the church was restored and resumed functioning according to its original purpose.

Gallery