Church of the Holy Blessed Prince Alexander Nevsky

Bendery What to see in Bendery

Description

Church of the Holy Blessed Prince Alexander Nevsky

The Church of Alexander Nevsky, built in 1833 in Byzantine style, is the only operating military church in Transdniestria and one of the oldest religious buildings in Bender. It survived the Revolution of 1917, the period of Romanian and fascist occupation. In Soviet years, just like in other Transdniestrian churches, the Orthodox services in it ceased, and the church building was given over to a soldier’s club. As such, it existed until the mid-1990s.

The church was reopened on October 12, 2011, after three years of extensive reconstruction. Next year, parts of relics of Prince Alexander Nevsky were brought here, and in September 2013 Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill visited the church. He gave a sermon to the parishioners and presented the image of the Mother of God “The Surety of Sinners” to the temple. By the end of the same year, the painting of the church walls and domes was completed.

In 2018, near the Church of Alexander Nevsky a chapel “In memory of the holy tsarist martyrs” dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the shooting of the Romanov family by the Bolsheviks was opened. It is known that Nikolai II together with his family visited the city of Bender and prayed in the church of Alexander Nevsky.