Convent of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul

Bendery Orthodox shrines What to see in Bendery

Convent of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul

In the middle of the 19th century, the commandant of the Bendery Fortress, Lieutenant General Marcellin Olshevsky began construction of the first Catholic Church of Holy Apostles Peter and Paul in Bendery.

Over time, catholics became less and less, and by the end of the 1870s the building was transferred to the orthodox church.
The parish of the Orthodox Church of Peter and Paul flourished until the Great Patriotic War.

In the postwar period, the church buildings were rebuilt many times and used for various purposes.

On July 9, 1997 the building of the church was returned to the Orthodox flock, and in 2006 the convent of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul was opened here.

The founder of the church, Lieutenant General Marcellin Olshevsky died in 1866 and was buried in a tomb on church grounds. In 1953, his ashes were transferred to the cemetery.

There is a tombstone from the grave of M. Olshevsky in the convent in memory of its founder.

 

44, Komsomolskaya str., Bendery

+373 552 2-98-91, +373 552 2-79-68