German settlements of Pridnestrovie





German settlements of Pridnestrovie



On one of our trips to Pridnestrovie, we suggest you visit the former German settlements located in the Grigoriopol region. ⠀

During the reign of the famous empress, the German princess, Catherine II, the Russian Empire reached its peak. It was Catherine II who invited colonists from Germany to Russia.

Glückstal (Valley of Happiness), Bergdorf (Bergdorf – Mountain Village) were the first settlements of the setllement district. In Soviet times, these settlements were renamed, and today they are Pridnestrovian villages, which are called Glinoe and Kolosovo.

Glinoe village

Glinoe village, Lutheran church building (church)

In 1811, the Germans in Glückstal a bell tower was added to the old church in the village. In 1832, the old church was closed. The government decided to allocate 4,000 rubles in silver for the construction of a new church. The colonists financially supported the construction and on September 30, 1845, they opened the newly built evangelical church. The church was built in a classical style by the architect Christian Beutelbacher. The church accommodated 800 people. It also contained the largest organ in the German colonies on the left-bank of Podnestrovie, worth 3,500 rubles.

The building is included in the State Register of Local Monuments of Pridnestrovie as an architectural and urban planning monument and is under the state protection.

Settlement Glinoe (Grigoriopol district), st. Gagarin, 53⠀

By the way, one of the German houses built about 200 years ago is well preserved. You can observe it from the street. The owner of the house doesn’t allow visitors in the house as well as in the yard.

To organize the tour please contact:

Ivanova Lidia Konstantinovna (Deputy representative of the head of the village administration)

+373 210 7 53 45



Kolosovo village

Kolosovo village, Lutheran church building (church)

The first Lutheran church was built in Bergdorf (Kolosovo) in 1810. Over time, the building fell into disrepair. And in 1851, a new church was opened, built according to the project of the same Christian Beutelbacher.

The village was founded in 1809 by German colonists, who came here from various lands of Germany. 64 families came to these lands and received some privileges, government loans and land –  60 dozen each family. They had to equip these lands, cultivate them, influence the surrounding villages by their example, using their traditional and new methods in arable farming, cattle breeding, and to become the representatives of exemplary farming.

The Germans who came here belonged to various religious movements. Most were Lutherans. The service was conducted in the native language of the parishioners. Religion has always been an important element in the life of German colonists. It was the support that helped to withstand and survive in difficult times.

The church is included in the Unified State Register of Immovable Cultural Heritage Sites of the Pridnestrovskaia Moldavskaia Respublika.

Kolosovo village, st. Lenin 71

To organize the tour please contact:

Shlyakhovenko Natalya Vladimirovna (Director of the school, head of the school local history museum)

+373 210 6 12 32, +373 210 6 12 59

+373 778 42 024⠀

Todorov Georgy Vasilyevich (Representative of the head of the village administration)

+373 210 6 12 36


Karmanovo village

Karmanovo village, Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God

The building of the church in Karmanovo (until 1946 – the German colony of Neudorf) was built in 1854 by the efforts of German settlers to conduct Lutheran prayers. In the times of the USSR, it was used as a  house of culture, and later – as the house for young naturalists. At the end of the twentieth century, ethnic Germans living in Karmanovo began to leave for Germany for permanent residence. Thus, there were no Lutherans left in the village.

The building was transferred to the Karmanov Orthodox community. Beginning 1997, due to the parishioners’ diligence the building has been sustained in the proper conditions. On August 27, 2006, the church was illuminated by Bishop Justinian of Tiraspol and Dubossary in honor of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God.

The church is included in the Unified State Register of Immovable Cultural Heritage Objects of the Pridnestrovskaia Moldavskaia Respublika.

Settlement Karmanovo, st. Oktyabrskaya, 65

To organize the tour please contact:

Keptene Lyudmila Stepanovna (Representative of the head of the village administration)

+373 210 7 12 36

+373 777 80 836