History of Slobozia
Slobozia district, located in the South of Pridnestrovie, as an administrative unit, first appeared within the Moldavian Autonomous SSR on October 12, 1924. It was separated from Tiraspol uyezd (district).
The center of the district is the town of Slobozia. A settlement with this name is found on maps of the second half of the 18th century. Its name comes from the word “sloboda” – the name of a village whose residents enjoyed certain privileges from the state.
Around the same period, many villages of the Slobozia district appeared: Parcany, Ternovka, Sukleya, and Karagash. Initially, these were small settlements with several dozen courtyards.
After joining the Russian Empire, the territory experienced economic and demographic growth: fertile chernozem lands are being developed, as well as crafts and trade. Russian peasants and Cossacks, Moldavians, Bulgarians, Germans, Armenians and representatives of other nationalities are actively settling on these lands. In the days of the Soviet Union, the intensive development of the region, which soon became a breadbasket of all-Union significance, continued.
In 2002, Slobozia received the status of a town. Today, Slobozia district remains the most important administrative and agricultural center of the Republic.
The population of Slobozia and Slobozia district is 84000 people.