The Kitskany bridgehead was a strategic point of the Soviet Army during World War II. It played an important role in the success of the Iasi-Chisinau operation. The bridgehead was captured by troops of the 3rd Ukrainian Front during the Odessa operation of 1944. Along the front, it had a size of up to 18 kilometers, and in depth – 6-10 kilometers. Fierce battles for the bridgehead lasted more than four months. During this time, it was well equipped in engineering terms, which allowed for the beginning of the operation to place five rifle corps, a mechanized corps, 51 artillery regiments and up to 30 special units in its limited space. On August 20, 1944, from the Kitskany bridgehead, the troops of the 3rd Ukrainian front delivered the main blow to the enemy, beginning the defeat of German-Romanian troops on the territory of Soviet Moldavia. The Iasi-Chisinau operation marked the liberation of the entire territory of modern Transdniestria.
In order to preserve the feat of Soviet soldiers in the memory of descendants, a 35-meter memorial Obelisk of Glory in the form of a concrete bayonet, designed by architect S.M. Shoikhet, was unveiled on the highest point of the bridgehead on May 9, 1972. The monument is very popular today – from its observation deck, impressive landscapes of the surroundings can be seen.