Tiraspol was founded by the Russian Generalissimo Alexander Suvorov in 1792 during the reign of the All-Russian Empress Catherine II (the Great). After the Russian-Turkish war of 1787-1791 the Yasi Peace Treaty was signed, concluding that Turkey ceded to Russia the land between the Southern Bug and the Dniester – the so-called Ochakiv region. The Sredinna fortress was laid as part of the Dniester line, as counterweight to the Bendery Fortress in the Ottoman Empire.
The Chief Architect of the Fortress and the city plan is Franz de Volan. The fortress was built in just two years and did not have stone walls.
The city of Bender, founded in 1408, is located on a bend in the middle reaches of the Dniester, which originates in the Carpathian Mountains and flows into the Black Sea. Since ancient times, trade caravans from Lvov and Galich to Kaffa and Carthage passed along the Dniester. A city, rich in history and events, is attractive to the traveler. The names of many famous people are associated with the history of the city. great Russian poet A.S. Pushkin visited Bendery several times during the years of his southern exile.
The city of Ribnitsa is the administrative center of the Ribnitsa region which includes 47 settlements. The first mentions of Ribnitsa are contained in documents of 1628, when it was indicated on a fragment of the map of the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In the 9th-13th centuries, northern Pridnestrovie was part of Kievan Rus and the Galicia-Volyn principality. In the 14th century this territory became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, and from the middle of the 16th century the lands of the left-bank Pridnestrovie north of the Yagorlyk River, including the territory of the present Ribnitsa region, were annexed to the Kingdom of Poland.
The city of Dubossary is the administrative center of the Dubossary region, which includes 21 settlements – the first mentionings refer to the period of the Mongol-Tatar invasion (1260-1360).
The town of Slobodzeya is the administrative center of the Slobodzeya district, which includes 23 settlements. Its foundation dates back to the late 17th – early 18th centuries. The historical location of the Black Sea Cossack army. Since May 1789 the military “Kosh” was transferred from the estuary of the river Berezan to Slobodzeya. The main residence of the Black Sea “Kosh” – Slobodzeya was a kind of slash. By the decree of Catherine II of August 15, 1792, the resettlement of the Cossacks to the Kuban began. And in 1793 the last Cossack wagon train left Slobodzeya. The Cossacks left a good memory of themselves to the Slobodzians. The Mikhailovskaya Church was built in 1792. And in 1804, instead of this church, a stone church was built, which retained its old name – St. Michael the Archangel.
The city of Dnestrovsk – “the city of power engineers” is the youngest city in Pridnestrovie, was founded in 1961 with the beginning of the construction of the Moldavian hydroelectric power station near the village of Nezavertaylovka, which is believed to have been founded by fugitive serfs during the time of the Russian Empire.
The city of Grigoriopol is the administrative center of the Grigoriopol region, which includes 31 settlements, was created in 1792, by the order of Empress Catherine II. Then it was Russia’s strategic plan to form a trade center on the site of the Armenian colony.
The city of Kamenka is the administrative center of the Kamensky district, which includes 21 settlements. The first mentioning of the settlement dates back to 1608. The northernmost region, rich in history and picturesque places on the southern spurs of the Carpathians. It has seen a lot over the past centuries: the raids of the Crimean Tatars, the gentry’s captivity and the power of Lithuanian magnates.