Memorial of Glory
Memorial of Glory
The Glory Memorial appeared on the central square of Tiraspol near the Dniester River in 1972. The authors of the project were architects Garry Fаif and Leonid Fishbein.
The memorial complex of Glory was opened on February 23, 1972, the day of the Soviet Army and Navy. Then a ceremonial reinternment took place: reburied were the remains of Soviet soldiers and officers – natives of Pridnestrovie- who fell on the fields of the Great Patriotic War, as well as the soldiers who died during the liberation of Pridnestrovie.
The eternal flame at the grave of the Unknown Soldier was lit by a participant of the Iasi-Chisinau operation Mikhail Harin, Hero of the Soviet Union.
Years later, the Memorial became the last resting place for those who died during the war in Afghanistan and during the armed aggression of Moldova against Pridnestrovie in 1990-1992. The names of 1252 reburied soldiers, including four heroes of the Soviet Union, are immortalized on marble slabs.
The T-34-85 tank is placed on the memorial as a monument to fallen soldiers during the Great Patriotic War. As part of the 7th Guards Mechanized Corps, it participated in the liberation of Ukraine, Moldavia, Bulgaria and Hungary.
During the Budapest Offensive, it was damaged at Lake Balaton, and in April 1945, the war machine was transported to Tiraspol.
Under the tank the capsule is stored with the earth brought from Mamayev Kurgan of the Hero City of Volgograd (the former Stalingrad).
At the end of 2000s the complex was largely reconstructed: a Wall of Memory was built on its territory with the names of all defenders of Pridnestrovie and civilians killed in 1990–1992. A sculpture of a Grieving Mother by V. Tkachenko was also installed here.