Museum of History and Local Lore

Bendery What to see in Bendery

Museum of History and Local Lore

The museum in Bender was opened on December 11, 1914. It is the oldest museum in Transdniestria. The building of the museum is one of the brightest and most expressive buildings of Bender in terms of its architectural solution. Its construction was successfully completed in 1890. This date is recorded on the interlacing of the openwork gate, connecting the two buildings of the museum. After 1945, the city library moved here, and in the 1980s, the Museum of Regional History and Local Lore became a resident.

Many museum exhibits are real rarities: authentic manuscript books from Middle Ages, tools, household items, a medieval dugout boat from the first half of the 15th century, found on the banks of Nistru near the city of Bender, antique amphorae from the 4th century BC, a fragment of a marble slab from the main gate of Bender fortress from the 16th century, copper dishes from Middle Ages, weapons from the period of the Russian-Turkish wars .