Description

Synagogue ruins

The synagogue was built in Rashkov around 1749 with funds from the so-called ‘box fee’ – a special type of Jewish community tax. At that time, the village was one of the centers of world Hasidism – a religious movement in Judaism, which in the early 18th century came over the Jewish population of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the adjacent territories. For a long time, the synagogue served as the spiritual hub of the multitudinous Jewish community of Rashkov. However, in the early 1930s, during the anti-religious campaign, its dome was destroyed, and by now only stone walls and some elements of the interior have survived to remind us of the magnificent structure.

Gallery