Excursion route Tiraspol-Bendery
- Visiting the Powder Cellar of Vladimir Bastion
- Visit to the monument to A.V. Suvorov – the founder of Tiraspol
- Tour of A.V. Suvorov Square and Catherine the Great Park
- Visit to the monument to V.I. Lenin in front of the Government of Pridnestrovie
- Excursion to Tiraspol United Museum
- Visit to the monument to V.I. Lenin in front of the House of Soviets
- Visit to Pridnestrovie Drama and Comedy Theatre named after N.S. Aronetskaya
- Excursion in the Pobeda Park for Culture and Leisure
Powder Cellar of the St. Vladimir Bastion
This is the oldest construction in the city and the only surviving part of the former middle fortress, whose building is considered the starting point of Tiraspol history. Designed by the engineer-architect François Sainte de Wollant, the middle fortress was laid down on June 22, 1793 with the personal participation of the commander Alexander Suvorov. On the territory of the fortress were three bastions, a military hospital, a commandant’s house, powder cellars, barracks, stables, equipment and provisions warehouses and also St. Andrew the First-Called Church.
Nowadays from the fortress only a powder cellar of St. Vladimir Bastion survived, in which the Museum of the History of Tiraspol Fortress was opened in 2014.
Monument to A.V. Suvorov
The monument to Alexander Suvorov, the founder of the city, was inaugurated on November 23, 1979. The authors of the 9-meter bronze statue were brothers Vladimir and Valentin Artamonov, while the monument design was performed by architects L. Druzhinin and Yu. Chistyakov.
Suvorov Square is the heart of Tiraspol and Pridnestrovie. Such landmarks surround it as the monument to A.V. Suvorov, François Sainte de Wollant Square, the Dniester embankment, Memorial of Glory, the building of the Youth Creativity Palace, Tiraspol movie-theatre, and the Supreme Council. The square acquired its modern look in the 1970s because of the massive restructuring of the city centre.
Very soon, in 2020, the area around the square will become one whole – Catherine the Great Park.
The Monument to Lenin in front of the Supreme Council and Government is the work of the famous Soviet sculptor Tomsky. The monument is an absolute copy of the monument in Berlin.
The House of Soviets
This is one of the most recognizable and magnificent buildings in Tiraspol. Its parameters are impressive: more than 200 rooms and the area of the main hall is almost 300 square meters.
Unlike many of the buildings of the Stalinist Empire in the republics of the former USSR, this House of Soviets retained all its rich decoration and Soviet symbols. Today, the building keeps its original function and serves as a home for city authorities – the Council of People’s Deputies and local administration.
Tiraspol United Museum
The building of Tiraspol United Museum was erected in the 1870s for the Noble Assembly of Tiraspol County. In the Soviet time, a theatre was located here, then the Communist party administration, and in the 1960-1970s it housed Znanie (Knowledge) – an institution of mass political education
The visitors can view the exhibits reflecting different periods of life of the city and the region. In addition to permanent exhibitions, the museum annually opens up to ten temporary ones in its lobby. By the beginning of 2019, the museum collection consisted of about 90 thousand units in the main fund and more than 30 thousand in the scientific back up.
N.S. Aronetskaya Theatre of Drama and Comedy
The theatre was named after Nadezhda Aronetskaya, who made a huge contribution to the development of the theatre, bringing it success in Pridnestrovie and far beyond. The theatre was opened in Tiraspol in the early 1930s. More than 9 million viewers have seen its performances. Today, the theatre’s posters list the names of about 50 performances 14 of which are for children and youth.
Pobeda Park for Culture and Leisure
The idea of creating the park belonged to the famous Soviet architect A.V. Shchusev, who visited Tiraspol in the post-war years. A park with an area of 15 hectares was laid out in 1947 on the territory of the former fruit and berry garden, which was then located outside the eastern outskirts of the city. The present-day name was given to the new city landmark in honour of the victory in the Great Patriotic War.
Over time, the park was enriched with a fountain, a summer stage, attractions and playgrounds. Nowadays, Pobeda Park is one of the favourite vacation spots for residents of the capital. Various cultural events are regularly held here; a café welcomes you and a large Ferris wheel offers an impressive panorama of the city.
- Visit to the memorial of the revolutionary, military and labour glory of railway workers
- Visit to the Arch of triumph in honour of the 600th anniversary of Bendery
- Visit to the historical military memorial complex in Bendery
- Tour of the Bendery Fortress and Alexander Nevsky Park
Memorial of the revolutionary, military and labour glory of railway workers
Since the end of the 19th century, Bendery has been an important railway junction. The history of the town is closely connected with railway workers: to perpetuate their feat, a memorial of revolutionary, military and labour glory was opened in the square near the railway station on October 28, 1977.
The most recognizable part of the memorial is the Soviet steam locomotive Su with three cars, which houses the Museum of Bendery railway workers.
On the morning of February 7, 1918, Romanian troops who captured the town shot 150 people at the fence that separated the town from the railway tracks. The monument “Black fence” – a tribute to this tragic page in the history of the town – was originally located at the depot, and later moved to the station square and included in a single Memorial complex.
Frozen figures of the monument according to the plan of sculptors N. Zorin and V. Petrov represent the firmness and courage, the unbroken spirit of the railway workers who faced the Romanian troops that occupied Bendery in February 1918.
Arch of triumph in honour of the 600th anniversary of Bendery
The triumphal arch appeared in Bendery on October 7, 2008, on the eve of the 600th anniversary of the town on Ermakov Street, almost at the entrance to the town.
The project was developed by architects V. Frolkov, B. Filimonov, I. Kibich.
The employee of the historical and local history museum of Bendery A. A. Alyokhin manually executed all metal elements of the monument.
At the top of the triumphal arch, there is a bas-relief with a double-headed eagle. On the columns, there are decorative military attributes: a helmet, an axe, a berdysh, which all represent the glory of Russian weapons.
The front side of the arch faces the entrance to the town – this is how the architects kept the old tradition, according to which the triumphal gate was always placed facing the road leading to the city.
The military historical memorial complex in Bendery was opened on October 7, 2008.
It was built on the site of an old military cemetery, where the remains of many soldiers of the Russian Imperial army who died in the wars of the 18-20th centuries were laid to rest.
Behind the colonnade, three lanes diverge: left – to the Historical sector, right – to Foreign sector. The central path leads to the cross and the Church of our Saviour Not-Made-by-Hand, and on its way from the colonnade to the cross it is called the Alley of the Generals.
The two largest burial sectors of the memorial are on both sides of the chapel. Here, in straight rows, there are slabs of polished black granite, on which the names of more than 5,000 soldiers and officers of 110 regiments and divisions of the Russian Imperial army are carved, including 21 units of the Bendery garrison.
Citadel of the Bendery fortress
The Bendery Fortress is one of the oldest buildings in Pridnestrovie, an outstanding monument of fortification architecture. The citadel of the fortress was built by the medieval Genoese, and after Bendery became part of the Ottoman Empire in 1538, the castle was significantly rebuilt by the Turks. The citadel, which has been preserved to our days almost in its original form, has eight towers.
A Historical Museum has been opened in the citadel’s well – preserved old powder magazine. Museum of medieval instruments of torture and a gift shop are also located nearby.
A number of monuments to famous historical figures, whose life was connected with the history of the fortress itself or Pridnestrovie, are erected around the citadel. Among them monuments to: A. V. Suvorov, M.I. Kutuzov, P.A. Rumyantsev-Zadunaysky, P.Kh. Wittgenstein, M.B. Barclay de Tolly, N.N. Raevsky, M.G. Miller, J.P. Kulnev.
The Pantheon of Russian Glory is located at the southern wall of the citadel. Along the wall, there are busts of famous military leaders of the Russian Imperial Army.
A standalone memorial section is dedicated to the captain of the Russian Imperial Army, the hero of famous stories, Baron Carl Hieronymus von Munchhausen – a real man who took part in the campaign to the Bendery Fortress in 1738. Here the symbolic core is erected. On it, according to the famous story of R.E. Raspe, the Baron flew during the siege of the Bendery Fortress.
Alexander Nevsky Park
Alexander Nevsky Park United the citadel and the military temple located at its walls into a single complex. The opening of the Park took place on October 7, 2018 – on the eve of the 610th anniversary of the first chronicle mention of the town of Bendery.
In the centre of the park, there is a bust of the great Russian Prince and famous commander Alexander Nevsky. The bust was previously located at the walls of the military Church. Paths radiate from the monument to the military temple and citadel, exhibition hall, stage area, children’s town and rollerdrome, as well as other facilities of the park.
In early 2019, the Old Bastion hotel and restaurant complex, built in the old Turkish style, opened in the park near the Main (Tsargrad) gate.