Description

Tower of Winds

The Tower of Winds, an architectural monument of the late 19th century, rises on a steep Dniester cliff in the village of Stroentsy. It was built in memory of Petr Khristianovich Wittgenstein, a great commander of the Russian army, Hero of the Patriotic War of 1812. Before the revolution of 1917, inside the tower there was a bronze bust of the commander, and on its sides, there were four cast-iron plates with the epitaphs to Prince Wittgenstein.

In 2002, a lightning partially destroyed one of the tower columns, and the entire structure moved towards the cliff. Despite the fact that the monument in its present state may cause danger, the interest in it is unflagging. Reconstruction options are currently being considered.

Gallery